Advantages of choosing a design and build process26-06-2018
Choosing the right construction process for a project is imperative to achieving the desired outcome. Although the design and build method of construction has been available for decades, many people are still unaware of the advantages and how it differs from the traditional design-bid-build route. In this blog, we explore the differences between each method and summarise the advantages of using design and build.
TRADITIONAL vs DESIGN AND BUILD
Traditional route (design-bid-build)
The client would employ an architect who would create a detailed tender brief specifying which products and materials to use. The brief would then be put out to tender to the construction companies. The company appointed would then complete the work and supply everything to the architect’s specifications.
Design and build route
The client would not employ an architect, and would instead approach a design and build company and provide them with a much looser, less detailed specification. For instance, they may say that they’ll require a set number of meeting rooms or how many employees they have. The finer details of the project are left up to the company who would complete the work.
ADVANTAGES OF THE DESIGN AND BUILD ROUTE
1) 33% faster – on average design and build projects are completed faster than going via the traditional route due to several factors:
- The work onsite can commence sooner;
- There are less people in the chain to communicate to;
- The design and build company would use suppliers, products and systems that they are already familiar with, therefore there is less uncertainty over supply or quality.
2) 13% cheaper – once the client has defined a budget for the project, the onus of keeping within the budget is on the design and build company, and by using suppliers who they use regularly and know are competitive, will bring the costs down.
3) Enhanced communication – the client can liaise directly with the design and build company rather than having to go via the architect, meaning there would be less chance of information being communicated incorrectly and issues can be dealt with at an earlier stage.
4) Single source of accountability – the design and build company is accountable for the entire project so the client will become familiar with the design and build company from the outset, creating a strong relationship which is highly beneficial to the project.
To find out more about how Office Profile could assist with your design and build project, contact us via this link or the form below.